Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Trail: Nukan Kungun Hike - 2 Nights, 45 km

I walked the Nukan Kungun Hike last weekend, just after the winter solstice. Although the days were short, I managed to do the majority of the walk on the second day. The Coorong has been special to me for a long time, and I've been planning to do this walk for at least two months.

This walk meanders around the small salt lakes, through scrubland and out across the Coorong at 42 Mile Crossing - all being very typically South Australian.


I caught the 6PM bus on the Friday night to Salt Creek, and walked 4 KM to Oystercatcher Campground. On the Saturday I walked to 42 Mile Crossing Campground and back - about 45 KM - and then back the 4KM to Salt Creek on the Sunday.

Note that the water was not drinkable at 42 Mile Crossing, even after boiling. Also, the middle third of the trail is not sign posted well, and its easy to lose the track - however, the general direction always remains either south east or north west.

The MLD Monk Tarp worked great with the Spark 2 sleeping bag. Even in the heart of the South Australian winter, I was warm and dry.














0 comments: